Help improve people’s lives
Senior Functional Front End Engineer
CityBase is a govtech startup, headquartered in the West Loop of Chicago. We are a team of more than 40 people who are curious, driven and forward-thinking.
CityBase creates technology to make government more personal and responsive. We work with municipalities, agencies, and utilities to integrate their business processes and citizen interactions onto a central, cloud-based platform accessible through multiple channels, including web, mobile, kiosk, and point-of-sale.
What we’re looking for:
We’re looking for a Senior UI Engineer who embraces functional programming on the front end. Here at CityBase, we use Elm and JS in production, but we are interested in candidates that have ClojureScript, BuckleScript, or RamdaJS experience as well. As a company we believe that functional programming improves the developer experience, reduces bugs, and increases productivity. As part of an agile, highly capable development team, you will work with our product team to define and implement the future of GovTech using the latest front end stacks.
This position will give you experience in:
- React and functional JS
- Production deployment of high-availability NoSQL implementations
Contribute to Open Source:
We believed strongly in the value of open source projects and community, which is why we are committed to providing our developers opportunities to contribute to open source projects. We offer stipends for conference attendance, and provide opportunities for our developers to work on open source projects of their choosing.
Learn and Grow
CityBase lays claim to some of the best engineers in Chicago, and you’ll have ample opportunity to learn and grow as an engineer. You’ll learn from engineers deeply skilled in every area of programming from embedded hardware to distributed system architecture.
- Technical leadership and mentoring of junior team members
- Development of architecture roadmap of CityBase's Web/UI Stack
- Identify and implement of development best practices, including Design and Code Reviews, Unit Tests and Test Automation
- Drive innovation using latest Web/UI technologies
- Instill a culture of out of the box thinking, exploration and problem solving within the team
- Build a reliable and performing Web/UI platform
- Manage test implementation and quality validation for the entire project
- Work closely and collaboratively with a small multi disciplined agile team
- Coach and mentor our junior team members as they tackle even larger problems
- Help make CityBase an emerging leader in GovTech
- 5+ years of software development experience in an Agile environment, utilizing lean/Scrum/XP Programming software development principles.
- 2+ years of experience with a functional language (OCaml, ML, Elixir, Clojure)
- 2+ years of experience with React
- 1+ years of experience with Elm, ClojureScript, BuckleScript
- Must be able to educate less experienced developers on TDD principles and best practices.
- Development leadership experience - demonstrated leadership of software engineering teams.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, IT or related field
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
Nice to Haves:
What we will provide you:
- Competitive, equitable salary
- Stock-based compensation
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits
- Stipends for travel and phone expenses
- A fun environment to collaborate with like-minded professionals excited to build a company and product together
- Balance work and life with a generous vacation policy, office holidays and flexible working options
You’ll probably be really happy here if:
- You're looking to contribute to our culture and roadmap
- You love working collaboratively
- You are high energy and low ego
- You’re comfortable giving feedback and receiving constructive criticism
- You have a positive open attitude and a desire to have fun