Help improve people’s lives
Senior UI Engineer React.js
CityBase is a govtech startup, headquartered in the West Loop of Chicago. We are a team of more than 40 people who are curious, driven and forward-thinking.
CityBase creates technology to make government more personal and responsive. We work with municipalities, agencies, and utilities to integrate their business processes and citizen interactions onto a central, cloud-based platform accessible through multiple channels, including web, mobile, kiosk, and point-of-sale.
What we’re looking for:
We have an opportunity for a talented UI Engineer to join our team and help us build the next generation CityBase platform. As part of an agile, highly capable development team, you will work with our product team to define and implement the future of GovTech.
This position will give you experience in:
- React Native
- Production deployment of high-availability NoSQL implementations
- Technical leadership and mentoring of junior team members
- Development of architecture roadmap of CityBase's Web/UI Stack
- Identify and implement of development best practices, including Design and Code Reviews, Unit Tests and Test Automation
- Drive innovation using latest Web/UI technologies
- Instill a culture of out of the box thinking, exploration and problem solving within the team
- Build a reliable and performing Web/UI platform
- Manage test implementation and quality validation for the entire project
- Work closely and collaboratively with a small multi disciplined agile team
- Coach and mentor our junior team members as they tackle even larger problems
- Help make CityBase an emerging leader in GovTech
- 5+ years of software development experience in an Agile environment, utilizing lean/Scrum/XP Programming software development principles.
- Must be able to educate less experienced developers on TDD principles and best practices.
- Development leadership experience - demonstrated leadership of software engineering teams.
- Experience with enterprise level, high-availability application development required.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, IT or related field
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
Nice to have:
- Experience with functional programming languages such as Elm, Elixir, or Erlang (Scala, Clojure, F#, etc.)
- Familiarity with ES6 and ES7
- Expertise with SCSS or Sass
- Familiarity with Material Design
- Experience with functional testing tools such as Selenium or Nightwatch
- Experience using Test Driven Development (TDD)
- Keen eye for usability and user experience
- Experience in developing clean, well architected code.
- Familiarity with Unix/Linux environments.
- Source Control Management (preferably Git/GitHub).
- Data (SQL or similar query language) and data constructs (XML, JSON).
- Experience developing/consuming Web Services (REST, SOAP, JSON), ETL jobs and API's (Service-oriented architectures).
- Experience using, integrating, and optimizing front end builds with Webpack
What we will provide you:
- Competitive, equitable salary
- Stock-based compensation
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision benefits
- Stipends for travel and phone expenses
- A fun environment to collaborate with like-minded professionals excited to build a company and product together
- Balance work and life with a generous vacation policy, office holidays and flexible working options
You’ll probably be really happy here if:
- You're looking to contribute to our culture and roadmap
- You love working collaboratively
- You are high energy and low ego
- You’re comfortable giving feedback and receiving constructive criticism
- You have a positive open attitude and a desire to have fun